When: Sunday March 1, 2015
Dr ALEX HUSVETI
A Father - Daughter Feature Show
MARCH 1st to 31st 2015
SUNDAY MARCH 1st 1:00p.m. To 3:00.p.m.
Leonora Husveti-Frenette taught Dance at University of Toronto while completing her B. A. in Psychology. She performed with illusionist husband at Hollywood's Magic Castle and on luxury cruise ships around the world.
Leonora’s award winning poetry appeared in anthologies published by the Universities of Toronto and Saskatchewan, and by The Ontario Poetry Society.
She burst onto the visual art scene in 2013 and won 2nd prize from the South Simcoe Arts Council for her first creation. Numerous juried exhibitions followed (some national) in Orillia's Museum of Art and History, Midland’s Quest Gallery, Barrie’s MacLaren Art Centre, Collingwood’s Blue Mountain Foundation for the Arts and Toronto’s Joseph D. Carrier and Todmorden Mills galleries. Her collages were featured in the 15th year anniversary book published by the Hungarian Visual Artists of Canada.
In 2014 Leonora won the Alice Forestell Award for the most promising emerging artist.
Leonora Husveti-Frenette’s art is an expression of intuitive visual poetry, sometimes portrayed surrealistically. She works in paper collage, textile, and abstract painting combined with fiber.
Dr. Alex Sandor Husveti was a member of the medical team introducing open-heart surgery in Hungary. He immigrated to Canada with his family in 1970.
Dr. Husveti became a self-taught artist creating graphic prints and paintings in oil and acrylics. Sculptural works comprise wood carvings, cement and bronze casts including a series of medals honouring outstanding composers, scientists and artists. The majority of Dr. Husveti’s oeuvre belongs to figural compositions but abstract and conceptual ones are featured as well. His favourite subject is the human body. Parallel with the traditional representation of the external anatomy he likes to show also the internal organs and some biological events that were rarely illustrated in art previously.
Dr. Husveti is a founding member of the Hungarian Visual Artists of Canada (HuVAC) and the Medallic Art Society of Canada (MASC), both established in 2000. He served on the Board of Directors at the John B. Aird Gallery for six years.
Dr. Husveti’s work appeared in numerous publications, world anthologies, international, national and local shows around the GTA, and was sold by a New York gallery catering to collectors.
(under construction soon)
When: Saturday February 28, 2015
LE LOO-VRE ARTIST
MARCH 1st to 31st 2015
SUNDAY MARCH 1st, 1:00p.m. to 3:00p.m.
I am going to be exhibiting some of my paintings at the Barrie Art Club during the month of March. The opening for the show will be on Sunday, March 1st between 1:00 and 3:00. I would love to see you there. If you are unable to attend the opening, the paintings will be there until the end of March. Please call the club for hours@705-726-0215. The Art Club is located close to Anne St. and Dunlop. It is in the plaza across from the Tim Hortons at Hart Drive. I have been painting since 2009. I find it so relaxing. I am sorry I waited so long to start. I paint mainly in acrylics from photographs that I have taken. Family and friends continue to encourage and inspire me. Hope to see you at the Art Club on March 1.
When: Wednesday February 25, 2015
Barrie Art Club Bulletin
Tuesday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
March 1, 2015 from 1:00 pm – 3:00pm: featured artists Alex Husveti & Leonora Husveti -
Frenette with Vicki McKenna in Le Loovre. Members Show entries for “Reflections” will also be on display.
March 18, 2015 7:00 – 9:00 pm – Clayton Samuel King, a local First nation's artist, who will be demonstrating and talking about his work.
For those that want to check out Clayton's art go to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Art Journaling Focus Group
Camilla Goddard is interested in starting up an Art Journaling focus group meeting the second Thursday afternoon of each month, starting March 12th 12:30 – 3:00 pm. An opportunity to share ideas and see what art journaling is all about.
April 1 - 30, 2015 – the title for the show is “Inclinations”. The registration form can be picked up at the club.
Registration forms must be submitted no later than March 17, 2015.
Size restriction – no larger than 36X48 inches.
Hanging day is April 1, 2015 between 10:00 pm – 12:00 pm. Pick up day is April 30, 2015 10:00 – 12:00 pm.
The Rotunda Show Opening night will be April 8, 2015 from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Peoples' Choice Awards as voted on by Opening Night attendees are:
1st place - $100 gift card from Curry’s,
2nd place - $50 gift card from Curry’s,
3rd place - $50 gift card from Curry’s.
Objects on Steroids - with Jennifer Lawton
May 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th 2015 : Thursdays 10am – 12pm
$40 registration with additional $10 material fee
2015 Value Series Workshops
All Value Series workshops are $30 for members, $55 for non-members, unless otherwise indicated.
Saturday March 21, 2015: Art Cunanan, watercolour landscapes. Watercolour – light and dark. Art will help you bring your paintings alive: Explore the source of light in a painting.
Discover when to use light and dark shadows. (Workshop is full)
Saturday April 25 - Sunday April 26, 2015 ($75): Brian Smith, life drawing with live model. This beginner-to-intermediate Life Drawing course begins with simple “stick-figure” style gesture drawings,
progressing to well observed contour line drawings, and by the end of the weekend, renderings of the figure made full and round by the observation of light and shadow. (Workshop is full)
Saturday May 30, 2015: Grethe Jensen: acrylic - Grethe is a contemporary artist/instructor whose work is abstracted, rich in colour, and approached in the spirit of exploration and experimentation.
For information concerning work Barb Stofast at 705 791-9963 or via email at email@example.com
Members' Show Schedule for upcoming months:
March – Reflections (photography)
April - In Your Face (portraits)
May – Tip Toe through the Tulips
Drop off “ Reflections” entries: February 24, 2015 between 10:00am and Noon
People’s Choice for December/January “Twilight” is Elvira Lusa-Dzumhur for her painting “Moraine”.
Welcome to the Club: Margie Beggs and Sasha Hynds
Barrie Art Club Board Contact Information
President Sheila Bristow 705-790-5355 firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary Gail Hankin 705-726-4882 email@example.com
Gallery Curator Barb Canning 705-734-1219 firstname.lastname@example.org
HFAC Coordinator The HFAC Team 705-735-0112 email@example.com
Librarian/Asst Curator Dax Jensen
Membership Jo Appleby 705-726-0215 firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Coordinator Arlene Hancock 705-828-0800 email@example.com
Social Director Rose Cook 705-722-8832 firstname.lastname@example.org
Webmaster June Butt 705-735-0658 email@example.com
Workshops Barb Stofast 705-791-9963 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sender Outer Barb Ritchie email@example.com
When: Sunday June 1, 2014
INTERESTED IN BECOMING
A FEATURED ARTIST?
SIGN UP AT THE CLUB OR CONTACT
BARBARA CANNING AT
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at
When: Sunday June 1, 2014
A R L E N E H A N C O C K
MESSAGE FROM OUR
Hello everyone , My name is Arlene Hancock and I joined the club in August of 2013.
I have taken just about every work shop I could and have enjoyed every one of them. Each one offering the great company and support of the club. I have also had the opportunity to meet some wonderful acquaintances .
This being said, I have been asked if I would take on the task of the new Coordinator of Volunteers. I agreed and will try to do the job to best of my ability.
In order to succeed in this role, I will need everyone's help and cooperation.
I would like to compile a working list which I can utilize when needed. This will allow me to organize our volunteers into groups and call the appropriate people when needed. Please take the time to let the club know of your availability and preference for volunteering.
Simply chose one or more of the categories below be it once a week, once a month or once a year.
A: Sitting at the club any of the following times,
Tuesdays am 9:45-12:30 or pm 12:30-3:15
Wednesdays am 9:45-12:30 or pm 12:30-3:15
Thursdays am 9:45-12:30 or pm 12:30-3:15
B: To assist with special events throughout the year as they arise that require help in setting up and taking down.
C: To assist with hospitality (setting up for coffee and snacks) for events or workshops.
I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please feel free to contact me via: email - email@example.com Call or text - 705-828-0800 sincerely yours, Arlene Hancock
When: Monday May 5, 2014
NEWSLETTER Barb Ritchie
Membership New fees are:
Senior (65+) $55 and
When: Saturday March 1, 2014
GALLERY HOURS: 10am to 3pm
Tuesday to Friday
OPEN STUDIO: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
PLEIN AIR: Every Monday
PORTRAITURE & PAINTER’S CAFÉ: Every Friday
Please refer to the calendar for more details & special events
When: Saturday January 25, 2014
BARRIE ART CLUB
Welcome to the Barrie Art Club and the
Artists Workshop Series for 2015
The Barrie Art Club offers an exciting range of workshops in the fine arts. Details of our 2015 workshops are below. Workshop suggestions are welcome. We are currently still booking dates so keep checking for these additions and updates.
Members pay $30.00 per workshop as of SEPT 2014 per workshop and non-members pay $55.00 for each
To register for a workshop, please contact Barbara Stofast: firstname.lastname@example.org 705-791-9963
Please pay for your workshop by one month in advance to guarantee your seat:
When: Saturday November 30, 2013
When: Monday January 1, 2007
UPCOMING FEATURE ARTIST NOVEMBER 2014
DAX JENSEN & ALICE DALTON
UPCOMING LE LOOVRE ARTIST NOVEMBER 2014
When: Monday January 1, 2007
Barrie Art Club Art Exhibition Opportunities
Barrie Art Club members have regular opportunities to display their art at the club:
• The Featured Artist Gallery
• The Back Gallery (Le Loovre)
• The monthly Members' Show
As well, members have the opportunity to hang at venues in the Barrie area:
• The monthly Peoples' Choice top picks hang at The Royal Bank and The Edge Gallery
• The quarterly Barrie Art Club show at the Simcoe County Museum
• The annual Barrie Art Club tent at Kempenfest
• The annual Barrie Art Club show at the Barrie City Hall Rotunda.
2015 brings special events and opportunities.
The hanging and organization of exhibitions at the gallery is carried out by the club’s curator, Barbara Canning, and assistant curator, Dax Jensen.
Barbara’s contact information is: email@example.com 705-734-1219.
Detail: Barrie Art Club Art Exhibition Opportunities
BAC Art Exhibition Opportunities on site
The Barrie Art Club has regular month-long show and sale opportunities on site. All sales at the club are subject to a 10% commission fee. A hanging agreement is signed with the club, and the curator prepares hanging labels for each piece.
The featured artist and the artist hanging in the back gallery work together to plan and hold an opening event for their show. The large screen TV is available to run a slideshow of the artists' work.
1. The Featured Artist
• Each month an interested member launches a one-man art show on the main gallery wall at the club.
• There is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board at the club, or you can contact the curator by phone or email. There is a two-year wait to be a featured artist.
A cancellation list is regularly created for artists available on short notice.
2. The Back Gallery (Le Loo-vre)
• For members who feel not yet ready for the larger exposure of the Featured Artist gallery, there is an opportunity to hang artwork in the hallway gallery at the club.
• For anyone interested there is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board at the club, or you could contact the curator by phone or email. Reservations are made well in advance.
3. Members' Show
• Each month members are given a theme, and are invited to bring in one or two pieces of artwork to hang in the collective Members' Show as space allows. A list of monthly themes is available at the club, on the website, and ..
• The upcoming theme and the drop-off and pick-up dates are always published in the Newsletter. PIck-up and drop-off are usually the last Tuesday of each month
• Members' Show-People's Choice: Members are invited to vote each month for their three favourite paintings in the members show, one ballot per painting. The winning piece is displayed in a place of honour at the club for one month. See below for additional benefits related to the Members’ show-People’s Choice Award.
BAC Art Exhibition Opportunities in the Community In addition to hanging opportunities at the club, there are regular opportunities to hang at venues in the Barrie area.
1. The Royal Bank (monthly opportunity)
• Members' Show-People's Choice Opportunity #1: Each month the paintings that were the three runners up, and the previous month's winner are put on display for one month in the Barrie downtown Royal Bank on Bayfield Street. (Display is for a two month) period for December/January and July/August)
• Pieces are for display only. No additional hanging agreement is signed.
2. The Edge Gallery (monthly opportunity)
• Members' Show People's Choice Opportunity #2: The two people who are winner and 1st runner-up have the opportunity to hang on a wall at The Edge Gallery for one month. If any individual has shown in this way within the prior 6 months, the opportunity is given to the next runners up in turn.
All artwork is subject to approval by The Edge Gallery
• Pieces are for show and sale
• Hanging agreements are signed for the gallery. All artwork is subject to approval by The Edge Gallery. The artists prepare their own hanging labels.
3. Simcoe County Museum (quarterly opportunity)
• The club has an ongoing display of 12 paintings at the Simcoe County Museum every three months
• There is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board at the club indicating a theme and dropoff/pick-up dates
• Artists must drop off and pick up their own work at the museum. The hanging technician at the museum prepares hanging labels.
• There is no size restriction
• Pieces are for show and sale for the museum takes no commission
4. Kempenfest Art Club Tent (annual opportunity: August long weekend)
• Each year the Barrie Art Club sets up a tent at Kempenfest
• Members are invited to hang one or two pieces 18" x 24" or smaller in exchange for volunteering a minimum of 3 hours during the three day event.
• Pieces are for show and sale. Members prepare and provide their own hanging label.