When: Monday December 1, 2014
DECEMBER 2014 to JANUARY 30, 2015
There is always a painting in progress on Barb Ritchie's easel as she works from her home studio in Barrie Ontario.
To become familiar with a variety of mediums, Barb took instruction from several local and internationally known artists. Acrylic, now her medium of choice, is used to capture large colourful abstracts, realistic landscapes or animals and birds on her canvas.
Barb's abstracts , in a variety of sizes, are now on display on the Featured Artist wall at the Barrie Art Club Gallery until the end of January, 2015.
When: Monday December 1, 2014
CAMILLA ANNE GODDARD
LE LOOVRE GALLERY ARTIST
Sunday December 14th 1 to 3 pm
Barrie Art Club , 304 Dunlop St
This exhibition is dedicated to Living Ways (Sanctuary for What Matters) whose key projects include:
* providing education for children and youths in Zimbabwe *creating workshops and bringing in Elders so all can hear and experience their Wisdom *turning 100 acres in the Northumberland Hills into a sanctuary for the soul.
Proceeds of all sales will be donated to Living Ways The exhibition runs from December 14, 2014 until January 30, 2015
Camilla Anne Goddard
Before I retired I was an art teacher in s high school in England (Univ. of London U.K.)
Apart from exhibitions in England, I have taken part in shows for the Oakville Art Society, Burlington Art Gallery, Hamilton Botanical Gardens. Sovereign House in Bronte, Ancaster Gallery, Quest Gallery and The Mad and Noisy Gallery.
Returning to Canada I studied watercolour at the Waldorf school in Toronto and printing, gold leaf and encaustic with Cora Britten at her Hamilton Beach Studio, and Painting From The Source with Aviva Gold in Kripalu.
I also facilitated many Art Healing Workshops at the Burlington Art Gallery and The Oakville Women’s Shelter.
Recent themes have been: Faces of the Feminine, The trees in Chartres Cathedral Garden,Spirit of The White Lions and the Spirit of Trees.
Present themes are Orbs and Dreams. Orbs because they are so fascinating and turn up unexpectantly in many photographs, including one of my grandson and also several of a friend ‘dancing’ with orbs In John of God’s village in Brazil.
Dreams because, quite often, ideas for painting reveal themselves during the dreamtime.
I am fascinated by what lies beyond this world of form and how the formless world influences us in so many different ways. I try to portray that mystery in my different themes, using different mediums according to the inspiration that come to me.
I have work in collections in Canada, U.S.A, England and Denmark
When: Friday October 31, 2014
Barrie Art Club Bulletin December 2014
Tuesday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
New – Open Studio – starting in the New Year an open studio will be offered Wednesday evenings from 3:00 until 6:00 pm at the club.
Open House – December 14, 2014 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Featured Artist Barb Ritchie
Camilla Goddard in Le Loovre
Members Meeting – no members meeting in December
Christmas Party - to be held Saturday December 6th 2014 from 12:00- 4:00 pm at
93 Berzy St. Barrie.
There will be entertainment ~ a Quartet as well as a solo performer.
It’s a pot luck affair. Please RSVP by email to Rose Cook our Social Convener as soon as possible at
Barrie Art Club will be closed
December 19 to
January 5th 2015
Members' Show Schedule for upcoming months:
December /January – Twilight
February - Tropicana
March – Reflections (photography)
April - In Your Face (portraits)
Drop off Twilight entries: November 25, 2014 between 10:00am and Noon
People’s Choice for October
landscape “Distant Hills”
is Henriette Hurley
for her painting
“At Six Mile Lake”.
Guide for Member Show Entries:
Maximum size restriction 18X24 framed.
No late entries accepted – entries only accepted on scheduled drop off day.
Pictures should be hung with wire hangers located approximately 2 inches from top of frame.
Pictures left at the club longer than 30 days after scheduled pickup will be donated to charity.
Welcome to the Club:
Sept - Mary Moncrief , Derek Pearl, Diane Ward and Natalia Neves
October - Lorraine Jerdon, Jordan Hewlett, Joe Stickley, Ilona Kovarik and Fannie Yabut.
Our workshop organizer Barb Stofast is building the workshop series for 2015. We will have more news on workshops coming up in the New Year
Barrie Art Club Board Contact Information
President Sheila Bristow 705-790-5355 email@example.com
Vice President Lonzo Lucas 705-323-6177 firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer Nancy McHardy 705-718-5781 email@example.com
Secretary Gail Hankin 705-726-4882 firstname.lastname@example.org
Gallery Curator Barb Canning 705-734-1219 email@example.com
HFAC Coordinator The HFAC Team 705-735-0112 firstname.lastname@example.org
Librarian/Asst Curator Dax Jensen
Membership Jo Appleby 705-726-0215 email@example.com
Volunteer Coordinator Arlene Hancock 705-828-0800 firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Director Rose Cook 705-722-8832 email@example.com
Webmaster June Butt 705-735-0658 firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshops Barb Stofast 705-791-9963 email@example.com
Sender Outer Barb Ritchie firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Lou Staples
When: Sunday June 1, 2014
INTERESTED IN BECOMING
A FEATURED ARTIST?
SIGN UP AT THE CLUB OR CONTACT
BARBARA CANNING AT
email@example.com or by phone at
When: Sunday June 1, 2014
A R L E N E H A N C O C K
MESSAGE FROM OUR
Hello everyone , My name is Arlene Hancock and I joined the club in August of 2013.
I have taken just about every work shop I could and have enjoyed every one of them. Each one offering the great company and support of the club. I have also had the opportunity to meet some wonderful acquaintances .
This being said, I have been asked if I would take on the task of the new Coordinator of Volunteers. I agreed and will try to do the job to best of my ability.
In order to succeed in this role, I will need everyone's help and cooperation.
I would like to compile a working list which I can utilize when needed. This will allow me to organize our volunteers into groups and call the appropriate people when needed. Please take the time to let the club know of your availability and preference for volunteering.
Simply chose one or more of the categories below be it once a week, once a month or once a year.
A: Sitting at the club any of the following times,
Tuesdays am 9:45-12:30 or pm 12:30-3:15
Wednesdays am 9:45-12:30 or pm 12:30-3:15
Thursdays am 9:45-12:30 or pm 12:30-3:15
B: To assist with special events throughout the year as they arise that require help in setting up and taking down.
C: To assist with hospitality (setting up for coffee and snacks) for events or workshops.
I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please feel free to contact me via: email - firstname.lastname@example.org Call or text - 705-828-0800 sincerely yours, Arlene Hancock
When: Monday May 5, 2014
NEWSLETTER Barb Ritchie
Membership New fees are:
Senior (65+) $55 and
When: Saturday March 1, 2014
GALLERY HOURS: 10am to 3pm
Tuesday to Friday
OPEN STUDIO: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
PLEIN AIR: Every Monday
PORTRAITURE & PAINTER’S CAFÉ: Every Friday
Please refer to the calendar for more details & special events
When: Saturday January 25, 2014
BARRIE ART CLUB
EXCITING WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT
Welcome to the Barrie Art Club and the
Artist's Workshop Series for 2015
We are currently working on the 2015 series workshops
The Barrie Art Club offers an exciting range of workshops in the fine arts. Details of our 2014 workshops are below. Workshop suggestions are welcome. We are currently still booking dates so keep checking for these additions and updates.
Members pay $30.00 per workshop as of SEPT 2014 per workshop and non-members pay $55.00 for each
To register for a workshop, please contact Barbara Stofast: email@example.com 705-791-9963
Please pay for your workshop by one month in advance to guarantee your seat:
When: Saturday November 30, 2013
When: Monday January 1, 2007
UPCOMING FEATURE ARTIST NOVEMBER 2014
DAX JENSEN & ALICE DALTON
UPCOMING LE LOOVRE ARTIST NOVEMBER 2014
When: Monday January 1, 2007
Barrie Art Club Art Exhibition Opportunities
Barrie Art Club members have regular opportunities to display their art at the club:
• The Featured Artist Gallery
• The Back Gallery (Le Loovre)
• The monthly Members' Show
As well, members have opportunity to hang at venues in the Barrie area:
• The monthly Peoples' Choice top picks hang at The Royal Bank and The Edge Gallery
• The quarterly Barrie Art Club show at the Simcoe County Museum
• The annual Barrie Art Club tent at Kempenfest
• The annual Barrie Art Club show at the Barrie City Hall Rotunda.
2015 brings special events and opportunities.
The hanging and organization of exhibitions at the gallery is carried out by the club’s curator, Barbara Canning, and assistant curator, Dax Jensen.
Barbara’s contact information is: firstname.lastname@example.org 705-734-1219.
Detail: Barrie Art Club Art Exhibition Opportunities
BAC Art Exhibition Opportunities on site
The Barrie Art Club has regular month-long show and sale opportunities on site. All sales at the club are subject to a 10% commission fee. A hanging agreement is signed with the club, and the curator prepares hanging labels for each piece.
The featured artist and the artist hanging in the back gallery work together to plan and hold an opening event for their show. The large screen TV is available to run a slideshow of the artists' work.
1. The Featured Artist
• Each month an interested member launches a one-man art show on the main gallery wall at the club.
• There is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board at the club, or you can contact the curator by phone or email. There is a two-year wait to be a featured artist.
A cancellation list is regularly created for artists available on short notice.
2. The Back Gallery (Le Loo-vre)
• For members who feel not yet ready for the larger exposure of the Featured Artist gallery, there is an opportunity to hang artwork in the hallway gallery at the club.
• For anyone interested there is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board at the club, or you could contact the curator by phone or email. Reservations are made well in advance.
3. Members' Show
• Each month members are given a theme, and are invited to bring in one or two pieces of artwork to hang in the collective Members' Show as space allows. A list of monthly themes is available at the club, on the website, and ..
• The upcoming theme and the drop-off and pick-up dates are always published in the Newsletter. PIck-up and drop-off are usually the last Tuesday of each month
• Members' Show-People's Choice: Members are invited to vote each month for their three favourite paintings in the members show, one ballot per painting. The winning piece is displayed in a place of honour at the club for one month. See below for additional benefits related to the Members’ show-People’s Choice Award.
BAC Art Exhibition Opportunities in the Community In addition to hanging opportunities at the club, there are 4 regular opportunities to hang at
venues in the Barrie area.
1. The Royal Bank (monthly opportunity)
• Members' Show-People's Choice Opportunity #1: Each month the paintings that were the three runners up, and the previous month's winner are put on display for one month in the Barrie downtown Royal Bank on Bayfield Street. (Display is for a two month) period for December/January and July/August)
• Pieces are for display only. No additional hanging agreement is signed.
2. The Edge Gallery (monthly opportunity)
• Members' Show People's Choice Opportunity #2: The two people who are winner and 1st runner-up have the opportunity to hang on a wall at The Edge Gallery for one month. If any individual has shown in this way within the prior 6 months, the opportunity is given to the next runners up in turn.
All artwork is subject to approval by The Edge Gallery
• Pieces are for show and sale
• Hanging agreements are signed for the gallery. All artwork is subject to approval by The Edge Gallery. The artists prepare their own hanging labels.
3. Simcoe County Museum (quarterly opportunity)
• The club has an ongoing display of 12 paintings at the Simcoe County Museum every three months
• There is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board at the club indicating a theme and dropoff/pick-up dates
• Artists must drop off and pick up their own work at the museum. The hanging technician at the museum prepares hanging labels.
• There is no size restriction
• Pieces are for show and sale for the museum takes no commission
4. Kempenfest Art Club Tent (annual opportunity: August long weekend)
• Each year the Barrie Art Club sets up a tent at Kempenfest
• Members are invited to hang one or two pieces 18" x 24" or smaller in exchange for volunteering a minimum of 3 hours during the three day event.
• Pieces are for show and sale. Members prepare and provide their own hanging label.
5. Rotunda Show (annual opportunity: April)
• Each April the club has a month-long show at the Barrie City Hall Rotunda
• A form and submission envelop are available at the club. The application deadline is March 18th. Each member may hang one piece with no size restrictions.
• Artists must drop off their work at the Barrie City Hall Rotunda on April 1st 10am- 12pm and pick up on April 30th at 10am.
• There is an open house Wednesday evening which is pot-luck or catered. Watch the newsletter for details
• Items are for show and sale. The event curator prepares hanging labels; prices are not displayed. A list of all works and pricing is available at the info desk to anyone interested.
5.1. 2014 Rotunda Show Special Events: In Celebration of The BAC’s 65th
1. Purchase and Donation of member artwork
• The Royal Victoria Hospital Art Committee has been invited to select a
piece from our April Rotunda show. The club will purchase the
selected artwork from the Artist, up to a value of $500, and donate it for
display at the Hospital.
2. The art exchange: The Harrogate Art Club - Barrie Art Club
• On June 7, 2013, the City of Barrie officially twinned with the Borough
of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England. for more information
see www.simcoe.com/news-story/3833628-barrie-discovers-its-twin-in england/
• As part of an Art exchange, the Harrogate Art Club will be sending 8
works on paper to display at the April Rotunda show and the Barrie Art
Club will send 8 works on paper to Harrogate for their May show at the
Ripley Town Hall.
• Members are invited to enter a work on paper. Items will be juried and 8 pieces selected that reflect a good cross-section of members' work.
• The club will matte each work before shipping, so the size can be one
of the following: 12x18 inches (for a matte 18x24) ,11x14 inches (for a
matte 16x20), or 8x10 inches (for a matte 11x14)
• Please bring your Harrogate entry to the City Hall Rotunda on April 1st
between 10am and 12pm (same submission date & time as the
3. The Rotunda Show People's Choice Award
• Everyone attending the Rotunda Show Opening Event on Wednesday
April 9th at 7.00 pm will be invited to vote for their favourite work in the
show. The winner will receive a cheque for $250.00 from The Barrie